Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Mind Of Fesseln part D

As I finish up the latest chapter of 'Summer Project', I thought I would take a little bit of time about how I go about my thoughts on developing a character.

I hate cardboard cut-out characters. Granted, writing this stuff isn't high literature, but if you are going to put something out there for the public, you should make a decent effort to make the characters seem real. When I develop a character I keep in mind not only looks but also personality. Are they fun-loving? Grumpy and timid? What does a character like versus what they can't stand. For me, they are the story because without them, it is just an empty room.

When I make a character, I actually look at a specific model and try to describe them the way I see them. The personality develops from there and doesn't have to necessarily mesh with looks. A woman can be submissive or a tiger, depending on what the story needs. Adding little touches such as what they like to wear or their favorite smell makes the story believable.

So which character is your favorite or most memorible? Please let me know.

As I have said before, I am trying to finish up chapter 19 of 'Summer Project' so it can go on to the proof reader so I can get it posted by this weekend (with any luck).

Take care

T.S.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks as if you didn't have much luck. i'm sad :( can't wait to read the latest summer project

T. S. Fesseln said...

The Summer chores and work took me away from my writing, but with any luck it should be finished tommorrow (at least, the unproofed one).